Home About Browse Search
Svenska


Konfor, Pamela Yah, 2013. Potential to replace part of the current meat consumption in Sweden with locally produced faba beans : effects on land use and food system sustainability. Second cycle, A2E. Alnarp: SLU, Department of Work Science, Business Economics, and Environmental Psychology

[img]
Preview
PDF
819kB

Abstract

This paper presents an investigation of how replacing part of the current meat consumption in Sweden with locally produced faba beans would influence land use and the sustainability of the food system, combined with a study of consumers´ attitude towards faba beans as a food legume. A thorough literature review about meat, land use and food system sustainability was carried out. The amount of meat to be replaced by faba bean was deduced from the difference between 2009 consumption data and the health-based recommended daily intake of 126 g meat per capita in total and red meat intake of 60g per capita per day. This suggested decrease in meat consumption corresponded to a replacement of 25% of the protein derived from meat with protein derived from faba beans. The calculated reduction in meat consumption corresponded to all meat derived from suckler beef production and 30% of the pork meat consumed in 2009. A taste survey using structured questionnaires was also carried out to determine consumers´ attitude towards faba bean grains as food. Results showed that 437 883 hectares of land would be saved by the suggested replacement, with meat coming from all beef of suckler production constituting 43.8% of replaced meat and the rest (56.2%) coming from pork. It also showed an effect of reduced global warming and pollution as well as benefits for cropping system sustainability and health. In addition, growing and consuming more faba bean has potential economic benefits to both consumers and some farmers. The survey indicated that Swedish consumers accept faba bean as food. Although replacing 25% of meat consumed in Sweden with faba bean will be difficult in the short term, it may be quite feasible in the long run. Replacing some of the meat consumed with locally produced legumes would according to this study not only benefit health and the environment but also increase the sustainability of the entire food system with a large land saving effect.

Main title:Potential to replace part of the current meat consumption in Sweden with locally produced faba beans
Subtitle:effects on land use and food system sustainability
Authors:Konfor, Pamela Yah
Supervisor:Carlsson, Georg and Hallström, Elinor
Examiner:Jensen, Erik Steen
Series:Självständigt arbete vid LTJ-fakulteten, SLU
Volume/Sequential designation:UNSPECIFIED
Year of Publication:2013
Level and depth descriptor:Second cycle, A2E
Student's programme affiliation:LM005 Agroecology - Master's programme 120 HEC
Department:(LTJ, LTV) > Department of Work Science, Business Economics, and Environmental Psychology
Keywords:consumer's attitudes, environment, faba beans, food, health, land use, legumes, meat, protein, replacement, sustainability
URN:NBN:urn:nbn:se:slu:epsilon-s-2652
Permanent URL:
http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:slu:epsilon-s-2652
Subjects:Agricultural research
Agricultural economics and policies
Food science and technology
Language:English
Deposited On:23 Aug 2013 05:45
Metadata Last Modified:21 Oct 2015 14:27

Repository Staff Only: item control page

Downloads

Downloads per year (since September 2012)

View more statistics

Downloads
Hits